How to overcome weight issues at this time?
- Be active. Anticipate that weight gain is inevitable and fight against it. Don’t wait for it to pile on before switching to a healthier lifestyle
- Genetic factors may play a role in menopause weight gain. If parents carry extra weight around the abdomen, you can too, so be prepared.
- Find an activity you enjoy, either alone or with friends. Do 30 – 45 minutes of moderate activity 4-5 times a week. It does not have to be the same exercise all the time. Change it around, for example brisk walking, dancing, hiking, yoga etc etc. Keep the rhythm going.
- Increase muscle strength with weight lifting exercises. It helps improve core muscle strength and helps balance and prevents falls
- Look at diet. As we reach mid to late fifties we need 200 calories less to maintain weight
- Sleep is important. Six to 8 hours of sleep is vital for good metabolism
- Choose more fibre, vegetables and whole grains. Eat less processed foods and foods that contain fat.
- Cut down sugar and limit the alcohol
- Get regular health reviews carried out. Rule out thyroid problems which can make one increase weight.
- Always good to have family and friends support when attempting a healthy lifestyle.
Your rough daily energy requirement per day is ;
Your weight in KG x 30 calories
(eg. 60kg x 30 = 1800 calories/day)
If you want to loose weight, say 1/2kg per week
than you need to reduce your caloric intake by 550 calories per day
eg. 1800 calories – 550 calories = 1250 calories
Thus, a 60kg person on a reduced caloric intake of 1250 calories per day should loose
2 kgs in 1 month.